Day 7 & final summary - Juice Journey
Day 7 31/05/14 & 01/06/14
The reason I’m writing this on the morning of the 1st is so I can get my results after my 7th day of juicing. And wow, what a week it’s been! It’s been hard, but nothing worth doing is ever easy. Have we stuck to juicing 100% with no slip ups? Hell no, but that’s life, and you just get back on it. I shall give you the low down on yesterday first, and then give you the big reveal of our final results from this morning!
Yesterday was strange: For the first time, I think ever, I breezed through a Saturday of work. By Saturday I am usually very tired and drained – and I’m sure some bad choices on Thursday and Fridays don’t help this! Another strange thing was finding myself wondering down the fruit and veg aisle at 7:30pm on a Saturday night instead of tucking into a takeaway washed down with a bottle of wine at home! We are so programmed to think, ‘It’s the weekend, time to relax, eat and drink!’ But there was no need for me to do that – because I was very conscious of the fact that it would undo all of my efforts. I’ll admit that I did have cravings to physically eat something, which you will see...
9:30am: apple, celery, courgette, lime, pineapple, cucumber
10:50am: carrot, apple, ginger, lemon
12:15pm: fresh orange juice (4 oranges and only an inch of juice, whaaat!)
12:30pm: raspberries, grapes, apple, blueberries
2:30pm: pear, pineapple, ginger
5pm: butternut squash soup
6pm: carrot, apple, ginger, lemon
8pm: x3 eggs, x2 border biscuits (the eggs made me feel sick, so hence the border biscuits to take the taste away!)
Drinks: x2 tea, glass of milk
My total weight loss: 8lbs
Lotto’s total weight loss: 12lbs
A combined 20 lbs in a week. That just blows my mind! I’ve also lost 7 inches all over. I feel like I could gush, and gush about how amazing we both feel, but that is plain irritating. So I’ll do a wee table to let you know the pros and cons of the experience.
· Weight loss – I haven’t been this weight since August last year!
· Kick starts a healthy lifestyle – I have NO desire to undo all of my hard work – instead it has retrained my way of thinking about eating and drinking - all I want to do is to have a healthy and happy body and mind from now on – and that mean’s by cutting out the crap, juicing, and by eating a good, balanced diet.
· Improved mood – asides from my headache days, my mind is clearer and my mood is so much better.
· Clear skin – my acne has just about cleared up. Even blemishes that have been there for months are healing! My complexion is bright, and you can actually see my cheek bones and jaw again – you can see my face, ha!
· IBS – completely cleared up. Irritable bowel syndrome for those of you who are lucky enough not to have it. My stomach bloating has gone, as are all of the other lovely things that go with this condition!
· Headaches improved – although they have not gone completely, I had 4 days where I had none – and as a result I’m taking far fewer painkillers.
· Energy – again, asides from my headache days, and the first two days of the cleanse, I am buzzing with energy, and literally can’t sleep at night because I’m simply not tired.
· No weekend hangover!
· Expensive – there is no denying that juicing is expensive. My morning juice, for example, contains: 2 apples, ¼ pineapple, stick celery, ¼ cucumber, handful spinach and ¼ lime. On Tuesday we went to gael pack wholesalers (behind tescos) and bought about 80 pieces of fruit and veg – it cost half of what I would normally pay in the supermarket – so if you’re juicing, give gael pack a call!
· You pee a lot. I can easily go to the toilet 4 times in the hour. Don’t go on any long journeys if you’re juicing!
· Difficult socially – I’d recommend for you to pick a week where you don’t have any social outings, because you just don’t want to be around cooked food. We had one night off and although it momentarily set us back, after two days we were back to losing weight and feeling good.
· Time consuming – you need to be organised with juicing, as it takes 5-10 minutes to prepare just one juice. The juicer can be annoying to clean so we usually juice in bulk and shove them in the fridge for later.
· Mentally and physically challenging – you only need to glance at my day 1 & 2 diary to appreciate this! It takes a serious measure of willpower to get through those first two days.
· People will think you’ve gone mad! Although we had a lot of positivity from people through the week, there was some negative – all I can say to that is, just because YOU can’t do it, doesn’t mean that WE can’t.
You won’t be surprised when I say the pros far outweigh the cons. The cons are minor in comparison to the body and mind you are left with at the end of the cleanse. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Lotto feels entirely the same – well, he would, wouldn’t he? He’s almost lost a stone!
If you’re thinking about doing it – just do it. You won’t regret it. Whether it’s for weight loss, clearer thinking, better skin, improved energy - there’s a health benefit in it for everyone!
Now, the plan is to continue juicing throughout the day, and to have a healthy meal at night. I’ll post a weekly update so that I’m not clogging your newsfeed every night! I’m chuffed that there’s been around 1400 views in the week – so thank you so much for reading. Feel free to drop me a comment or private message if you have any questions!